NONINVASIVE VASCULAR LABORATORY
Best Practices in Vascular Testing May Improve Vascular Disease Outcomes
Noninvasive vascular testing is most commonly used by vascular specialists interested in the treatment of vascular conditions. Hospitals and group practices specializing in vascular disease management will most likely have a dedicated Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory (NIVL) for the identification and management of the vascular patient before and after an intervention. Others may use noninvasive vascular testing as a “screening” tool rather than for the diagnosis and long-term maintenance of patients with vascular disease. When best practices are used, noninvasive vascular testing can be utilized as the primary tool in the diagnosis of vascular disease, decreasing the reliance on more expensive, potentially harmful testing procedures requiring dye and radiation.
A high-quality noninvasive vascular laboratory depends on the effective management of its components:
- Vascular Testing Services
- Vascular Lab Technical Staff
- Medical Staff Interpreting Vascular Exams
- Vascular Ultrasound Equipment
- Vascular Lab Policies & Procedures
- Vascular Testing Protocols
- Vascular Testing Diagnostic Criteria
- Proper Ordering & Indications for Vascular Testing
- Vascular Disease Diagnosis & Treatment
Health care providers committed to the quality of vascular testing will seek vascular laboratory accreditation.